September 30, 2019
We are pleased to present the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) Annual Report for 2018/19.
Translating cancer research means bringing the best research discoveries to patients, and it’s at the heart of the work we do. OICR collaborates with researchers across Ontario and around the world to ensure Ontario’s most significant cancer research discoveries have maximum impact for patients and the province’s economy. This report highlights a selection of OICR’s many translational research successes over the last year, including:
- An unprecedented investigation into the dark matter of the human cancer genome, which discovered the causes of two thirds of cancers that were previously unexplained;
- A study that’s bringing next generation genomic sequencing to five Ontario cancer centres, helping match patients to targeted therapies and accelerating cancer research;
- Developing new software technologies to help bring portable nanopore sequencing into cancer research and care;
- A pan-Canadian initiative changing the landscape of lung cancer radiotherapy clinical trials and providing more treatment options to patients;
- The scientific and business excellence of Fusion Pharma Inc., which is developing innovative medical isotopes for treating cancer with reduced side effects.
We hope you enjoy learning more about OICR’s many achievements over the past year and we welcome your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.